Mosaics and frescos from the Chora Monastery Church located in Constantinople (Istanbul)
The name of the church,"in Chora" means "in the country" because the very ancient monastery to which it was attached was outside the walls of the Constantinian; later when it was included within the Theodosian walls, the name remained the Holy Savior of Chora.
The mosaics and frescoes are by far the most important and extensive series of Byzantine paintings in the city and among the best and most beautiful in the world.
The origin of the monument cannot be traced with certainty.
The earliest reference is found in the Synaxarion (Legendary) of 4 September by Symeon Metaphrastes, according to which the relics of St. Babylas who was martyred in 298, were removed from the Golden Horn to the northwest part of the City, at a place outside the walls <<where there is a monastery called Chora.>>
The present church dates from the 11th century, though it was almost destroyed by the crusaders, and was rebuilt in 1313. and the mosaics and frescoes date from this period, and are some of the best examples of the beginning of the Byzantine Renaissance. It was converted into a mosque in 1500 and has been a museum since 1959.