Greek School

Instruction in the Modern Greek language

is held three afternoons a week at Saint George, between 4:10 and 6 p.m. Classes begin in September and end in May. Currently, there are 50 students enrolled. Students become proficient in the Greek language; principles and traditions for the Greek Orthodox Faith; Greek geography; Greek history; Greek folk dances, songs and folklore; and Greek manners and character. The Greek School children visit community members and sing traditional Christmas Carols as well as hold delightful annual

programs and luncheons on OXI Day (October 28), Greek Independence Day (March 25) and at year’s end.

Contact person: Gia Tomaras 230-4625 

The Purpose of Greek School:

1. The methodical and systematic teaching of Modern Greek. 
2. The teaching of the main principles of the Greek Orthodox Faith. 
3. The teaching of Greek geography. 
4. The teaching of the main elements of the history of the Greek nation. 
5. The teaching of folk dances, songs, and Greek folklore. 
6. The augmentation of Greek manners and character. 
7. The development of the child's social life.

History

The Greek school in Greenville, S.C., has functioned since the establishment of the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint George in 1930.The first teacher was Mrs. Katina Efstration, who was followed by Mrs. Perfonia Raftakis. These two teachers worked very hard in their newly developed community. The various pastors also taught in the school, so that the Greek children of Greenville could always have a Greek language education.

In the beginning, the Greek school was operated in a home, but expanded to more suitable facilities with the construction of the church in 1940. In 1961 Mrs. Athena Conits became the Greek school teacher and with an interruption of two years 1964 and 1965, she taught until her retirement in 1994. In 1978, the school staff increased, when presbytera Joanna Alexson was asked to teach. In 1978 and 1979 the school program included a kindergarten as well, with the teachers Mrs. Alexson and Mrs. Margarita Londos in charge. In 1967, a new building was built. It was at this time that the school began function normally, and from a student enrollment of 15 has now reached 65. At the same time Mrs. Conits started a class for adults.

In 1972, the school was approved by the Greek Ministry of Education, with license number 113833/9-11-1972 and was so listed in the Ministry Bulletin. The Greek school is an integral part of our community. It is always under the supervision of our pastor, as well as church Council and the Archdiocese.

The year 1983 is an important milestone in the school's history, because it moved into the new facilities constructed by the community. In this atmosphere, the school will be able to fulfill its mission with even greater success. In 1994 Dr. lrene Kokkala became the principal of the school with six grades in the primary school level, two grades in Kindergarten, and adult classes. In the fall of 1997 Mrs.Gia Tomaras took over as principal. The children of this school continue to be educated in our Orthodox Christian and Hellenic traditions and language. In this way they will be able to keep alive the sacred bond with our beloved Greece.